Resume of Robert L. McClure, Jr.
5346 FM 275 South
Cumby, TX 75433-6642
Software Engineer, Programmer, Web Developer
University of Oklahoma, B.S. Engineering
Programs using Perl and C under Unix.
Has done database work with Perl/DBI, mostly with MySQL and Oracle.
Experienced in HTML and CGI scripting with Perl/CGI.
Builds X-Window graphical user interfaces using Perl/Tk.
Experienced in awk and shell scripts under Unix.
Experienced in programming
from the hardware to the user interface, background and real-time
processing or user-interactive processing.
Does system administration on Linux, HP-UX, and Solaris systems.
Also does web administration on Apache web servers.
PC compatibles, IBM RS-6000, HP 9000, Sun SparcStations,
and other Unix Workstations;
awk, sed, and shell script.
Linux, SYSV (HP-UX and Solaris) and BSD Unix, SCO Xenix and Unix.
Senior Software Engineer at Bobcat Open Systems, Inc,
May 1997 - present
Provide software engineering, web development, and system administration
expertise as required by clients.
Current clients include
Past clients include
- Several Web clients
Built custom shopping carts that connect to PayPal.
One of those used mapped hot spots on a map of a camping
area for reserving RV spaces for rally events.
- Kalkomey Enterprises, Inc, Dallas, TX,
since July 2003,
In addition, have installed open-source spam-reduction software
on company mail server.
- Improve existing Perl/CGI-based web site for boater
education and certification.
- Convert flat-file data system to MySQL.
- Set up two different systems for credit card processing
- Cumby Telephone Cooperative, Cumby TX,
since Dec 2000, contracted to
In addition, have
- Examine web/mail/dial-in server and eliminate problem spots.
- Upgrade operating system.
- Train personnel in administration tasks.
- Install a system for web-based access to mail.
- Eliminated several "backdoors" and other security hazards left by
a former administrator. Recovered the system from a break-in.
- Eliminated use of telnet for administrator access by
switching to Secure SHell (SSH).
- Set up a semi-hot backup server for quick recovery from a primary
system failure or system compromise.
- Paragon Innovations, Plano, TX,
since June 2000, contracted to
In addition, have
- Upgrade version of Linux OS on web/mail server.
- Add new web site features using Perl/CGI and shell scripts.
- Recovered server from cracker break-in.
Installed latest OS. Enhanced security on server.
Added Secure SHell server to allow users to access the site
securely from off site.
- Helped build an intranet site for use by office personnel.
- Added several CGI forms to allow office personnel to update
some parts of the web site and add new client displays.
- Added a serial number tracker to coordinate the assignment of
numbers to proposals, purchase orders, etc.
- Helped resolve several system administration issues.
Previous work includes
- Entegrity Networks, Arlington, TX
- Installed SpamAssassin and Clam Anti-virus on two
clients' mail servers.
- Continued to monitor mail servers' operation and resolve
- Fluke Networks, Carrollton, TX,
Sep - Oct 2002 (Fixed Fee Contract)
Feb 2001 - Mar 2002 (Contract)
- Port recent changes to NetServer product back to HP-UX.
- Replace legacy download tracking methods with scheme compatible
with the rest of the suite.
Work also done includes
- Port NetServer product to Sun Solaris and Linux.
- Support existing Bell Canada installation.
- Converted source code repository from PVCS to CVS to
facilitate cross-platform development and eliminate
the need for site licenses.
- Modified the product building tools to work with CVS,
and on varying platforms.
- Installed Imake tools on Sun platform and modified existing
Imakefile structure to be more platform-independent.
- Converted host-update software to use open-source s3270
interface instead of several incompatible commercial products.
- Texas Instruments, Inc, Dallas, TX,
Jan 2001 - Feb 2001 (Contract)
Build a test (examination) server in Perl using CGI
to receive the requests, and DBI/DBD-Oracle
to access a database of test questions and answers.
It delivers the instructions and
questions in XML format. The server records the answers and provides
for navigation through the testing process.
- Built two CASE tools to parse the technical specifications and
produce some of the files required in the building of the
task dispatching programs.
- Built a CASE tool to parse the database specification and produce
an XML depiction of the database structure for use in creating
the SQL required to build the database.
- Pagenet, Inc, Dallas, TX,
July 2000 - Dec 2000 (Contract)
Build programs in C and Perl to merge, transform, validate,
and reformat data from several existing databases for transfer
to a different database system.
- Built programs to be generic so that they use configuration
files to define the way they work for each data type,
and so that the same software
could be used for a likely follow-on project.
- Built several utilities to simplify comparison of configuration
files involved in each phase of the transformation,
and to view each data
field of each record as it passes through each phase
of the transformation.
- Built an auditing utility to verify the proper handling of
critical monetary data fields from the old database
system to the new one.
Senior Software Engineer at Communications Technology Corporation,
Dallas, TX, which was later absorbed into Fluke Corporation, Carrollton.
May 1995 - May 2000 (Contract)
Duties: Expand the capabilities of a Unix-based system of
programs which take address-change information from one
system, intended for a printer, and use it to update a
different database system through a user interface built
for humans. Assist in the development of a new version of
an outside-plant database maintenance system, using a
graphical user interface and Oracle database access.
Software Engineer at OpenConnect Systems, Dallas, TX.
- Built a complete X-Window graphical user interface for the
new version of the gateway product using Perl/Tk.
- Built a new host update file generator and rewrote the host database
interface to be more flexible and powerful.
- Extensively customized the gateway product for Bell Canada,
including internationalization and a completely new host database
interface using 3270 emulation.
Mar 95 - July 97 (Contract)
Duties: Follow-up work on custom enhancements to source code
Software Engineer at General Instrument, Carrollton, TX.
Aug 94 - Mar 95 (Contract)
Duties: Add functionality to a suite of Unix-based cable
converter management software. Build real-time software
to allow customer to download video games from cable head
Software Engineer at Reliance Comm/Tec, Farmers Branch, TX.
- Established ANSI C and C++ capability on Xenix development
systems by installing GNU software.
Jul 94 - Aug 94 (Contract)
Duties: Port a suite of customer trouble tracking software
from MS-DOS and proprietary LAN to Unix (AIX) and TCP/IP.
Software Engineer at OpenConnect Systems, Dallas, TX.
Mar 94 - Jun 94 (Contract)
Duties: Complete and modify a partially completed source
code control system (SCCS) enhancement system to allow use
over a local area network by disparate Unix systems.
Create additional programs as needed to enhance the product
development, test, and release control process.
Software Engineer at Communications Technology Corporation,
- Found several system security holes, notified the
appropriate people, and assisted in finding or developing solutions.
Aug 92 - Mar 94 (Contract)
Duties: Design and build a Unix-based system of programs
which take address-change information from one system,
intended for a printer, and use it to update a different
database system through a user interface built for humans.
- Several parts of the system were built using combinations
of filters made with awk and shell scripts. Other parts
of the system were built as daemons including the data
capture program and the mechanism which spawned multiple
update processes. The main database update program
was written in perl, with a C "wrapper".
If any additional information is required, you may call
me at the above telephone numbers.
Last modified: Thu Jan 26 10:55:27 CST 2012